Sunday, May 2, 2010

81.) San José

This is my biweekly time to say "thanks, guys, for being awesome." Love the comments; they're so motivating and inspirational. This is a rather boring post, but necessary and chock full of essential plot stuff. This is definitely going to turn into a long story, being at least over 100 posts depending on how the end manifests itself--but that's still a long way off at the rate the story's going.

Soundtrack Song - My Chemical Romance, Welcome to the Black Parade

Monday, March 1, 2010, was the longest day of my entire life.

Not only did I wake up early, because I wanted to get to practice early to celebrate with Olympic win with the guys and see Crosby’s medal, but then Shero called with the news of my trade and the day just dragged out after that. As if everything I had to deal with wasn’t bad enough, my day was extended by three hours, once the time difference was factored in.

I bought a bottle of water at one of the stands at the concourse and then found my gate. I had a little over an hour to kill. Unfortunately, the majority of that time was spent on the phone with Mom. I plopped down on one of the seats, digging my phone out of my pocket. When I turned it on, I had a bunch of voice and text messages from the guys. I ignored them all, for the moment, as I speed dialed my mother and braced myself for this discussion that I wasn’t looking forward to.

“Hé, Maman.”

“Kristopher! To what do I owe this pleasure?”
she happily chirped into the phone.

Her mood would not stay cheerful for long. “Well, I’m calling to tell you some big news.”

“Big good news, or big bad news?”

“Well, uh, I guess you can decide that for yourself. I’ve been traded. I’m playing for the Sharks now, in the Western Conference.”

“What?”

“I’m sitting in the airport, I just checked in—”

“How could they trade you?! You gave that team everything you had, and then they just trade you?!”

“It’s the nature of the game, Maman—”

“And how could they send you so far away from me?! Why couldn’t they have traded you to Montréal?”

“Come on, Maman. You know it doesn’t work that way.”

“Well, it should. I can’t believe you’re going to be even farther away from me. If they were going to trade you to the West, why not make it somewhere in Canada? That would have been better, at least.”


I wasn’t so sure what she was so upset about. I mean, I was gone for the majority of the season, coming home on lengthy breaks when I had the opportunity to visit her. That much wasn’t going to change. I didn’t why it was such a big deal where I was, because it still meant I wasn’t in Montréal.

The next thing she said was the kicker, though. “Tell them you don’t want to leave the team! Tell them you want to stay in Pittsburgh!”

“I can’t, Maman. I still have my entry-level contract, and I don’t have a no-trade clause. I was at their mercy. And besides, how would you feel if I were in Edmonton? They haven’t got a shot at the playoffs. Would you really want me there?”

“Oui! Then at least you would be closer by.”

“Like I’m not already having a hard enough time dealing with this, Maman,”
I started, talking a little more angrily to her than I would have liked. “S’il vous plait, don’t make this harder on me.”

She paused on the line, and I groaned. With my phone pressed to my ear with my left hand, I took off my cap with my right and ran my hand through my hair. Of course I knew that she wouldn’t take the news well, but I expected her to be upset to sympathize with me more than to be upset just for herself.

I waited to hear her chastise me for talking back, for her to say that I shouldn’t speak to my mother like that. But she didn’t say that. Mom sighed, the way she does when she wants to change the subject because she knew we were getting nowhere with the current line of discussion; like she knew she was wrong but didn’t want to apologize. “How are you doing with the news, Kristopher?”

Turning my hat around, so I could pull the bill down over my face, I told her, “Okay, I guess. I mean, well enough. Kent helped me out with planning and getting my ticket and making reservations an all that, and Jo helped me pack up my stuff, so, yeah.”

“Is she moving with you?”


I knew enough to know that was a trap. No matter what I answered, there would not be an acceptable response. I knew the way my mother’s mind worked, and there was a fine line that even the most perfect of girlfriends would have to walk. If Jo came with me, she’d be a leech; if she stayed, she obviously didn’t love me enough. “Jo is in the middle of a semester. She can’t drop everything to follow me. But she has a week-long break coming up, and she’ll come visit me.”

“And after?”

“After what?”

“When she’s finished. Then what? Does she come out to be with you?”

“Honestly, Maman, we’re not even thinking that far ahead. I don’t know when her semester’s over, and I don’t know when my season will be over. We’re trying to take this day-by-day, because that’s all we can do.”

“Well, what do you want, Kristopher?”

“I want things to not have to change. I was comfortable in Pittsburgh. Things were going so good. With the team. With my life. And now, everything’s going to be different.”
It seemed like my life was following a brutal pattern: as soon as I was happy, something devastating would happen to ruin it. I wasn’t usually against change, but I hated knowing how good everything had been—and that it would never be like that again. I’m not saying I would never be happy again... but it would never be the same.

And the one person who I had in my life, who I learned to count on, was going to be thousands of miles away. I knew that I’d be seeing her soon enough, in just a couple weeks, but I didn’t know what would change between now and then, or how our relationship would have to change to adapt to these new circumstances, or if I was worrying over nothing. I was going to be lonely without her presence, and I didn’t want to leave her because I would miss her; but also, I felt guilty for leaving her and making her miss me.

When I’d asked Jo to move in with me, she’d expressed her hesitance and uncertainty about agreeing. She had worried about going through with the change and then having to deal with what would happen if we broke up. And while we hadn’t broken up, I was still leaving her. She still had her sanctuary, but she was going to be alone there. I asked her to let go of her past and trust me with her present and future... and then I left her.

I’d wanted her to be strong, to regain that inner strength to carry on in times of adversity. It’s what I had wanted for her all along, but I shouldn’t have asked her to if I couldn’t follow through with my promise to help her out. Sure, I couldn’t have foreseen this, but I still felt downright horrible about it.

“Maybe this is a blessing in disguise, hmm?” Mom offered.

Instantly, I shot up and sat straight in the uncomfortable chair. What was she implying? “How is this at all a blessing? You’re just as upset about this as I am.”

“I don’t know. That’s why I said ‘in disguise.’ We aren’t privy to God’s plan, but everything happens for a reason. Maybe,”
she sighed, changing her attitude and approach to this, “something good will be born from this. We just have to wait and see how this all plays out.”

“Maybe,”
I said grunting, knowing that she had a point. Just because I couldn’t see any benefit to this current situation didn’t mean that there wasn’t any potential for good. It’s like Jo said: the Sharks were resting a lot of their hopes in me to help lead them past the first few rounds of the playoffs on their quest to win the Stanley Cup. Maybe I’d get on the first PP unit in San José. In Pittsburgh, I was only on the second unit, and I hadn’t scored a power play goal all season.

Mom and I continued to talk, but we switched topics completely and I let her talk about little, unimportant things. It was a nice distraction as she went on about how she and Henrí had gone to some restaurant last night for dinner, but they undercooked his steak so he complained and then they ended up getting their meal for half-price. This probably seemed stupid or pointless, but it was normal and that’s why I appreciated it.

We stayed on the phone for about thirty minutes, and then I spent the rest of the time waiting by answering the messages I had received. Everyone from the Penguins had sent me texts, either to say how sorry they were to hear the news of my trade or to wish me good luck in my season with the Sharks. I responded to them all, thanking them and wishing them luck as well, but also wondering if I’d ever talk to some of these people again.

The flight was long, boring, but thankfully uneventful. I reclined in my seat and tilted my hat over my eyes so the attendants would leave me alone. Unfortunately, though, I couldn’t sleep like I wanted to. Usually, I took naps right around this time, but my nap earlier in the day disrupted my sleep schedule. Instead of sleeping during four hour flight, I thought. I thought about a lot of things, but I tried to focus more on what the rest of my day would hold rather than everything that happened earlier.

As much as I was trying to be positive and be open to the new experiences being presented to me, I was struggling to maintain that attitude. I hated San José. I decided that the second I stepped off the plane at the San José International Airport and onto flat, solid ground again.

Sure, the weather was nice. A lot better than Pittsburgh’s actually, because I had almost forgotten what the sun looked like or what it was like to feel the warmth hit your face when you walked outside. It was nice to not need my jacket. I was looking forward to renting a car and finding my way to the hotel. Except I couldn’t rent a car, because I wasn’t twenty-five. So I had hail a taxi.

When the cab pulled up in front of the Alameda, I thought that the driver had decided to play a trick on me; it was a one-level motel. I expected this place to be like what the Doubletree or Marriott was to the Mellon: a real hotel, like the kind of place an entire team would stay. Apparently, Kent just Google-mapped the closest hotel without using street view or even checking the fucking website. It was more like the inn up in Shippagan than a real hotel, and I could only imagine how much it would suck to make this place my home for at least the next two months.

At least the staff was friendly enough when I checked in, and it was clean. I wanted to be able to shower and wash away the thin layer of sweat and grime that had developed on my skin as a result of being in the closed environment with recycled, stale air. But Kent had called and told me that I had a meeting with general manager Doug Wilson and head coach Todd McLellan at 4:30, meaning I had no time to shower or even change my clothes. The only thing I had time for was to dump my bags next to the bed, take a leak, and wash my hands before I walked the few blocks from my new, temporary home to my new arena, which was affectionately known as the Shark Tank.

As I walked, I sent a message to Mom to let her know that I was now in San José and got here safely, and then I typed a more in-depth and detailed one to Jo to not only let her know that I was here but that I was heading into my meeting. I felt like I had to keep her update and involved, like she deserved to know. After all, it’s not like I would see her tonight and be able to relay everything to her, like our routine had come to be.

She messaged me back within seconds, wishing me luck with the meeting and expressing interest in hearing all about it tonight. Her continual support brought a smile to my face, but it didn’t alter my mood. Needless to say, I was still feeling cranky, tired, and not at all pleased with how today was turning out. It was hard to feel excited to meet my new owner and coach when I didn’t want to spend another miserable fucking moment in this city.

It was overwhelming to walk to into HP Pavilion. Any other time I’d been here, I’d been here with the team. I wasn’t alone. Then again, the last time I had played in this building was when I had injured my shoulder. This place did not hold many positives for me. I could only imagine how poorly the rest of my season would go. Maybe I was exaggerating or being overly dramatic, but I didn’t care. Just because I usually tried to be even-keeled didn’t mean that I didn’t have my bad days when I wanted to pout and wallow for a little while, and this was a bad day. This sucked, and I just wished I was at home in Pittsburgh where the people and places were familiar.

I didn’t even have to go up to anyone to introduce myself and ask for directions; the first person who spotted me as I walked in the main entrance swooped in and began talking to me and leading me toward wherever I was supposed to go, offering to fetch me something to drink or eat or anything else I could possibly want.

In a whirlwind of activity, I found myself in Wilson’s office, but we didn’t stay there for long. Just for introductions to my new manager and coach. They gave me a tour of the facilities. The place seemed so different, now that I wouldn’t be playing there as part of a visiting team. Now that this was my home arena. I also met Matt Shaw, Trent Yawney, and Jay Woodcroft, the assistant coaches. They showed me the facilities, they told me about the structure of their team, and they told me about how I was supposed to fit in to their system.

They were all smiles, excited as they talked to me, and I’d be lying if I said it wasn’t a little contagious. They admitted that they were looking forward to the morning skate tomorrow, to see how I meshed with the team before I donned a Sharks jersey for the game against the Devils. They were making me be excited for it, too, because of how much of their hopes they were putting in me, wanting me to be the missing piece for the team. They thought I was the player who would round out their team. After being ditched by the Pens, their excitement was reassuring, or at least didn’t make me feel as bad.

It was six by the time we were finished, and I was looking forward to getting back to my crappy motel room to shower and unwind, but then I met Rob Blake, the captain. He invited me over to his house to have dinner with him and his family, as a way to welcome me to the team. It was a nice, friendly gesture, and I accepted. As much as I wanted to relax after my crazy day, it would be nice to have a home-cooked meal instead of order something from whatever restaurant and hope that it would be palatable. I’d have to get some good recommendations from my new teammates and hope that we had similar tastes.

Blake drove me to his home, and I met his wife Brandy and his two kids. He explained that Brandy’s niece was staying with them, but she was out so I wouldn’t be meeting her. It didn’t make a difference to me, since this would probably be the only time I’d meet his family. There were only twenty games left in the season, and there wasn’t even a guarantee I’d be with this team after the Sharks’ season ended. I was still an RFA, and being traded didn’t change that.

Their home was very inviting, and, well, homey. It didn’t look like the décor was a page ripped out of a magazine. There were toys scattered around on the floor, Barbies and Bratz dolls and Wii remotes and empty game cases. There were professional studio portraits on the walls, which showed a loving family instead of posed, staged kin. It was refreshing.

Brandy was nice, too. Not a fake, platinum blonde, trophy wife. Well, she was blonde, but she was the real deal. She was short, probably only an inch or two over five feet, and Blake towered over her as he put an arm around her and proudly introduced her to me. They really were an adorable, perfect-looking couple. Their kids were hollering at each other from the second floor, but Blake made no rush of introducing me to them. Brandy explained that she had made dinner for them already, so that the “grown ups” could relax and get to know each other.

Blake talked about the team the whole time, trying to fill me in on everything so I’d be prepared for what would happen tomorrow. He explained that he was paired on defense with Vlasic, or “Pickles” as he was known, but that I’d probably get along well with him, since he was my age and also from Montréal. He added that there were a lot of twenty-one-year-olds on the team that I’d get along with. Then he proceeded to muse that I’d probably get paired Kent Huskins, since Murray and Boyle were the other definite pair on the team.

“McLellan doesn’t like to break up pairings unless he has to, with injuries or whatever. This is Husky’s first full year with the team, since he was traded here last season. He’s been matched with some inexperienced call-ups from the farm team, so I think Coach’s anxious to get him someone who he can play with permanently for the rest of the season, so we’ve got three solid, in-sync pairings when we go into the playoffs.”

“Do you think I’ll get time on the PP?” I asked point-blankly, knowing that Blake was a straight-forward guy who would answer me directly instead of give me a diplomatic answer like the coaches did.

“Maybe not at first, ’til you know our system. They’ll probably wanna put you on point with Boyle, but you’ll probably need to get in a few practices before you’re on the first unit. But I think that after a few practices, yeah. They’ve had their eyes on you and were really itching and hoping to bring you here, so they’re gonna want to put you in positions to make an impact.”

“Is it a good place to play?” San José felt like Timbuktu to me, a place where hockey wouldn’t be popular. Meaning stands would be empty, and it’s no fun to play without fans there to cheer you on.

“Yeah. I mean, I’m sure it’s not like Pittsburgh, but it’s no Tampa Bay,” he joked.

We all laughed politely, and Brandy excused herself and began to clear our plates. “Oh, here, let me,” I offered, collecting the dishes and helping her carry them into the kitchen.

“Oh, you don’t need to,” Brandy dismissed. “You’re our guest.”

I shrugged, wanting to be polite. My mother would kill me if I didn’t at least make the effort. It’s not how I was raised. “It’s the least I can do after you did all the work of cooking.”

Brandy smiled at me and graciously accepted my help, as Blake called from the other room that I was making him look bad. He offered to pour me a drink, but I declined. I think he assumed that I was too worried about making a good impression to be drinking, and I didn’t bother correcting him.

“So, Kristopher—”

“Please, it’s Kris. Only my mother calls me Kristopher,” I corrected her. Then I smiled. “Or my girlfriend, when I do something wrong.”

“Okay, Kris,” she giggled, probably imagining me getting scolded when I got out of line. I’ve found that girls love to hear about how other girls yell at their men; Heather and Kelsey got a kick out of exchanging stories all the time. But since I said it with a smile, she probably thought it was okay to find humor in it also. Even though it was never fun when Jo yelled at me, any memory of her right now would make me grin. “How are you adjusting to San José? I know it’s only been a day.”

“There’s just a lot to take in. I mean, it all happens so fast, all at once. This morning, I was on one team, and now I’m on another. Got the news this morning, packed up, flew in, and tomorrow I go to practice with a new team. It’s just a lot,” I sighed, reaching up to tuck my hair behind my ear as I leaned against the counter.

“It’s not easy. I remember when Rob was traded from the Kings to the Avalanche. That was before we had the kids, but it was still a big adjustment. I take it you came out here alone?”

I nodded. “Yeah. Jo—that’s my girlfriend—she’s a native Pittsburgher, and she’s got class.” Just then, my phone went off with a message. I checked it and let out a belly laugh as I saw it was from Jo. “She must’ve known I was talking about her.”

Her message was brief: Eleven days and counting. Arriving @ SJ Intl Airport @ 4 on 3/12 :*

“She’s coming to visit, though, so it won’t be too bad, I guess. It’s getting late there though, I should call her,” I thought aloud, looking at my watch, which was still on Pittsburgh time. It was getting close to midnight.

“You must be exhausted,” Brandy said to me, and then she called to Rob. “Honey! Take Kris home!”

Blake popped his head back in the kitchen, two glasses of wine in his hand. He handed one to his wife and then looked at the clock mounted on the wall. “It’s only eight thirty.” She gave him a pointed glance, and that was the end of their discussion. “Okay, Kris, I guess we’re going.”

I said thank you to Brandy for her letting me into her home and for dinner, and she patted my arm. “Anytime, Kris. It’s hard to start over in a new town, so anything we can do to help you out, just let Rob or me know. Good luck tomorrow.”

And I thanked Rob for his hospitality when he drove me back to the Alameda. “No problem, man. Brandy’s right, if you need anything, we’ll help you out. In fact, I’d offer to put you up, but with Brandy’s niece staying in our guest room—”

“It’s okay,” I said. “I wouldn’t want to impose. Besides, it’ll be better to be here when my girlfriend comes to visit,” I added, unable to not bring Jo up in conversation. She had come to be such a big part of my life that it would have been difficult to keep the discussion away from her. Plus, it was the one thing I was looking forward to amongst all this chaos, her visit.

“All right, man, we’ll see you tomorrow at the morning skate. Starts at ten, be there by at least nine.” I nodded, knowing that I’d be there earlier than that to sort out my equipment and get acquainted with my stall and the guys.

All I wanted to do when I finally made it back into my room was collapse on the bed and go to sleep because I was physically, mentally, and emotionally exhausted, but I forced myself to get that shower that I so desperately needed. I dug through one suitcase and found my toiletries. The hot water and steam eased my tense muscles, making me feel even sleepier. I made it a quick one, and then had to dump out the contents of another one of my bags to find a pair of boxers and a shirt to sleep in.

A surprise fell out of my bag: her little stuffed dog. She didn’t even sleep with it, but she kept it on the stand on her side of the bed. It was a silly toy, with an upper lip that you could curl up to make the dog look like it was growling or you could pull it down and the dog looked normal and happy. This was one of those things that she had to bring with her when she packed up and moved in with me back in December. It made me smile, and I perched him on the table.

By the time I crawled between the sheets of my temporary bed, I was so incredibly fatigued but knew I couldn’t go to sleep just yet. I grabbed my phone and typed a quick message to Jo. Awake?

She called less than a minute later. Her voice sounded different, but I assumed either she was really tired or I woke her up to talk. “Hey, babe. How’s it going?”

“It’s going. I got your dog,” I told her.

“So you found Brewster, did you?”

“Yeah,” I chuckled, glancing at the table as I rolled over onto my side, the phone pressed between my head and the pillow. “How’d he sneak into my stuff?”

“I wanted you to have something of mine to take with you, something to have with you when you wanna think of me. I know he’s not really soft and cuddly, but I don’t picture you as much of a cuddle-with-a-stuffed-animal kind of guy.”

“Not really.” I stifled a yawn. I was so tired, but I still wanted to talk to her. “Am I keeping you up? I know it’s late.”

“I wasn’t really sleeping,” she confessed. “It’s hard to sleep in your bed without you.”

“Just like a road trip.”

“I know. I know, but even when you’re away for just a few days, the first night’s always the hardest. But that’s enough about me, tell me all about your meetings. Did you just get in? How’d it go?”

“Good, good. I met the coaches and staff and stuff, and they’re all nice enough. Excited. And then I met Blake, the captain, and he had me over for dinner with his wife. They seem like good people. But tomorrow’s the big day, I guess. Meeting the whole team, morning skate, and then the game against the Devils. Gotta show ’em what I can do.”

“Maybe I should let you sleep then? You sound tired, and tomorrow’s important.”

“No,” I yawned, closing my eyes and wrapping my arm around one of the spare pillows. I pretended it was Jo as I hugged it against my chest and listened to her voice. It was almost like she was with me. Almost. “I want to talk to you.”

She chuckled, like she knew how exhausted I was. I wouldn’t be able to stay up and talk long, but I still wanted to. “You’re gonna fall asleep on me, babe.”

“No I won’t,” I promised, struggling not to yawn again.

“It’s okay. We’ll just talk until you fall asleep. How does that sound?” Her voice was low and mellow sounding, and it was making it even harder for me to fight against unconsciousness. I grunted, because that was all I could get out. “Or how about, I just talk until you fall asleep?”

Jo started talking about how excited she was to come and visit, about how she booked her flight already, but the soothing tone of her voice was like a lullaby and I fell asleep to the sound of her voice, almost believing that the pillow really felt like her.

10 comments:

  1. I haven't read this yet but I forgot this great line from the last post(I know my comment was so long it's hard to believe I missed anything)
    "Think of it as the Sharks traded for you. They’re putting a lot of faith in you, to join their team..."
    Can't read this one tonight I've cried enough for one day!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aww, this is so sad and yet sweet at the same time. I love that Kris was smiling and thinking of and mentioning Jo every chance he got.
    I'm a little curious about this niece since you kind of made a point to mention her more than once. I hope she's not an issue!
    I'm glad this story isn't ending soon because I love these two!

    ReplyDelete
  3. awwwww.
    They're soo cute.
    I hope jo moves out west to be with Kris...
    or maybe he can get traded back to Pittsburgh over the summer ( Hint HInt)
    =D

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree, it's sweet that Kris keeps mentioning Jo, it shows how much he's really into her. And the talking until he falls asleep is so beautiful.

    I was really happy to hear that you're going to go to 100 posts at least, because I know my story is going to be at least that long as well and I was afraid that people would drop off in droves if they knew. But when you stated it, I only felt happy, so it's all good. Of course your writing is on a completely different emotional plane than mine, but I think it just goes to show that people can sustain their interest for a long time. I also think that as the story goes longer, there's potential for things to be deeper and draw on the history of what went before.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This wasn't boring!
    I enjoyed this quite a bit!

    I think it's cute that he went home for dinner with the new Captain.
    Do I feel like this niece is gonna be an issue? She was metioned a few times...

    I really miss Jo and Kris not being "together" they make me sad now : (

    Can't wait for more!

    ReplyDelete
  6. My favorite line from tonight's post:

    "This is definitely going to turn into a long story, being at least over 100 posts depending on how the end manifests itself--but that's still a long way off at the rate the story's going."

    That is totally not taking away from the sweet simplicity of how often Kris mentionned Jo, or how centred his thoughts are around her, or falling asleep on the phone. I just don't think I'll ever get enough of those two.

    I didn't comment on the last post but the whole Dave situation, shot down or not, and what kind of trouble she could potentially get into with Tubby while he is there, and now "the neice" or any other myriad of problems the "21 year olds" Blake mentionned could get Kris into has me a little freaked. I like Jo and Kris happy and blissed out on one another. But while I know they have gotten through this so far, "Just a road trip" is only going to last so long and then she leaves after spring break and then what... then what mantra pushes them through. I mean, they are both so reliant on the upcoming meeting, and I don't want their kind of necessary desire to go away, but I am afraid. Very afraid. I am almost worried that their relationship could grow into a crutch? I guess... I know super pessimistic and I love Kris and Jo as much as the next person but I am trying to read between the lines here and I am freaking myself out! haha!


    Great update :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ok so this post was fantastic. I literally felt like I was hanging out with Kris all day.
    Scooting around the airport together before getting into San Jose on that nice, hot day...

    But I felt the sadness too. I missed Jo being there, being the person he could depend on and watching them interact with one another.
    I agree with everyone else though, I really hope that Jo moves out with him after her semester is done... I like when they're happy/blissed/together.

    I love Rob's wife, and the way you described the house and the hockey-talk between the two boys.
    I hope that Kris has a good day tomorrow... hey, at least he gets to play with Mr. Joe Thornton... who as you may or may not know, was my fave player growing up.

    And I'm kind of with K here... about the 'niece' thing. I guess I'm waiting for the bomb to drop and shit to hit the fan, so I'm reading too far into things.
    I mean, I know whatever happens that Kris is going to get hit on by random girls... but please, please don't let it happen! I mean, of course it would make for interesting reading, but really... you would break my heart and I couldn't survive.
    That being said, there's a good chance you're reading this and thinking I'm crazy... just like my over-reaction with Kris and his neighbour when he was back home but... that just shows you how well you write up these characters; I'm way too emotionally involved in their lives lol.

    Anyway, I'm anxiously awaiting to read about Kris's day at the skate with his new team, how Jo is getting on without him, and of course... their reunion.

    It was beautifully written on top of that, and short of copy/pasting everything, just know that this was a phenomenal update... like all of your updates are, and YAY for more!

    ALSO, the idea that I have at least 20+ more posts to look forward to... is amazing! Just sayin... WICKED

    ReplyDelete
  8. WOOOOO! So much more of this story to go! How exciting! :D

    This was SO not a boring post, silly lady! I loved kickin' it with Kris in San Jose and seeing what his new settings are like. But while I loved this, I also felt kind of empty. I miss Jo's presence and her "sass". And if I'm feeling the emptiness, I can only imagine how Kris must feel.

    I'm kind of scared/worried that he's not gonna adjust well and the last twenty games of the season are gonna be like hell for him. But I'm keeping my fingers crossed.

    Can't wait for the next one!<3

    ReplyDelete
  9. Sigh.... Has to make fun of Edmonton.... You all just wait... in 2 years... Stanley will come home! Back to the City of Champions my friends! That's right!

    Haha... sorry my rant is done now.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Just got caught up on the chapters I missed over the weekend...fabulous and really, really moving. Can I just say, that I believe you might be the only one who thinks this is a boring post...and no fooling around allowed while Jo and Kris are apart, plz?!?!?!?

    ReplyDelete