Sunday, May 16, 2010

88.) Misunderstood

Two posts in two days... what?! I guess I was feeling inspired.

Soundtrack Song - The Classic Crime, The Way That You Are

We cemented our game plan: Rob was going to drop Kris off at Original Joe’s, so he could catch up with the guys and eat with them for his pregame meal before he headed back to the Alameda so he could take his nap. Kris and I had planned on eating in at the hotel and napping together since I was in town to spend the time with him, but all that changed with Rob asked me to come back to his house and try to reason with his “unreasonable” niece.

While Kris was going to go about his usual routine, Rob was going to take me back to his house so I could.... I don’t even know what he was expecting from me. Work some kind of magic, I guess. The more I thought about it, the more I realized that I knew nothing about this girl, and more importantly, I knew nothing about what it took to reach out to someone. I had enough trouble trying to navigate my own life; how was I supposed to help this girl and the Blakes?

When Rob dropped Kris off at the restaurant, I slid out of the backseat to hug and kiss him goodbye. “Enjoy your lunch,” I sighed, not knowing what else to say. All the fun of my visit had been sucked out as soon as Rob asked that damn question. Because now, this was serious business.

“I’m gonna have my meal with the guys and then head back to the hotel to nap,” he said into my ear as he squeezed me against him. “I’ll leave my wallet by the door in case you want to take a taxi home, or depending on how things go, at the arena. Rob’ll bring you back, I’m sure, when he shows up, if it takes that long.”

“’Kay,” I pouted, pulling back out of our embrace. Rob was waiting for me. I hated that Kris and I just had this damn discussion a few hours ago, about how I wouldn’t even get to spend my whole visit with him, and now I couldn’t even take advantage of the time we actually had together. Sure, it was for a good cause—as long as I didn’t fuck up. “If I don’t make it back to the room before the game, bring my jersey for me out of my bag?”

“Sure thing. Good luck.”

Shaking my head, I blabbed out, “I can’t do this.”

“Yes, Jo, you can,” he assured me.

“No. What if I say something wrong? What if I make it worse? I don’t know what I’m doing. It’s a nice idea, but—”

“It never hurts to try to help someone. You’re doing a really good thing here, and I want you to know that.” Kris smiled at me with this look in his eyes... like he was proud and expectant and encouraging, and I didn’t quite get it. “As long as you go forward with good intentions, you can’t hurt the situation.”

“Ever heard that the road to hell is paved with good intentions?”

“Yeah, but I don’t believe it,” he quipped, the corner of his mouth curling up into a lopsided smile. “I’ve got all the faith of the world in you.”

I couldn’t help it; I rolled my eyes. I didn’t have nearly that amount of confidence in myself. “Okay, well, then I’d better get going. See you soon.”

“See you,” he replied, giving me one last kiss and then let go of me. When I got back into Rob’s car, I sat in the front passenger seat. Kris closed the door behind me and then turned to head into the restaurant.

Rob put the vehicle back in drive and flicked on his turn signal, pulling back out onto the road. He cleared his throat before he spoke with hesitation. “So, listen, Jo, I want you to know that I appreciate this. Having someone around her age to talk to, someone who’s got their priorities straight, I never thought about that.” I had to stop myself from snorting. Me? Having straight priorities? What a joke. These guys obviously had a completely different impression of me.

He continued, “I obviously don’t know a lot of girls. I go to the rink, I go home to my family, and that’s it. She’ll probably be able to relate to you.”

“Uh, well, I don’t know. I mean...” I tried to convey to him that I didn’t know if this would work. “She might just yell at me, too.”

“Yeah, but at this point, I’ll try anything. I’m at my wit’s end.” Rob paused, his grip tightening on the wheel as he looked at me quickly. “But here’s the thing.... Without making it seem like Mr. Hyde and Dr. Jekyll, I have two different facets of my life. When I’m at home, I’m a husband and a father and an uncle. And when I’m at the rink, I’m a hockey player and a captain. To me, these are two completely different things.”

“I understand,” I said. Everyone has different aspects of themselves. I’m not the same person around Kris as I am around his teammate or my professors or my classmates or my coworkers. That doesn’t mean that I’m not genuine—I just don’t share every bit of myself with people I don’t know well or fully trust.

“You see, you learn as a husband to compartmentalize, to leave work behind so when you come home to your wife and kids, you’re not upset about the loss or tired or anything like that. But as a captain, you have to learn to leave all the domestic problems at home so you can focus on the team and the game when you’re at the rink.”

“Okay....”

“So, I guess what I’m saying is, I like to keep my two lives separate, and not mix what happens with the guys with what goes on in my home.”

“I get it, Rob. You don’t want me to say anything. Don’t worry—my lips are sealed. I’ll keep it all confidential or whatever.” The more we talked about this, the more I kept feeling like I was over my head. Like I was expected to be some type of therapist who would know all the right things to say, who would be able to talk Samantha down off of whatever cliff she was ready to dive from.

“Thank you,” he sighed, obviously relieved. “So I guess I need to fill you in. You see, Samantha, she’s just real impulsive, and she got mixed up with this boy at home in Simcoe.”

I nodded. “Any time there’s trouble, it’s usually a boy’s fault.”

“Yeah, well, he was a hockey player for the Junior C team, the Simcoe Storm. Brenda, that’s Brandy’s sister and Samantha’s mother, well, she and the parents of the boy decided that it would be best to split them up. His parents got him traded to another junior team in Ontario, and Samantha was so upset that she flipped out and Brenda was worried about her. She couldn’t handle her, and she didn’t know what to do. So Brandy offered to take her in and give her a fresh start.

“And Sam, you know, she thinks it’s the end of the world. She says she’s in love with him and she’s pissed that she’s here. But everyone involved thought it was best to split them up, and neither of them has contact with the other. We’ve made sure that she doesn’t know where he got traded to—I mean, I don’t even know where he’s at, you know? And I’m pretty sure his parents didn’t tell him where Samantha went, even though he probably knows. Simcoe’s a small town, my hometown, so it would be easy to figure it out, really.

“I know that it probably wasn’t the best way to handle the situation. I mean, if it were my daughter, I don’t know that I would have just sent her away and expected everything to be okay. But, you know, she’s not my kid. It wasn’t my decision to make. So I’m just trying to do my part to help by giving her a place to stay while she starts over. You know?”

I had to stop myself from chuckling at this overuse of the phrase “you know.” So I nodded. “Yeah. I know.”

Rob pulled into his long driveway and shut off the engine. “There’ll be days when she seems fine. No yelling or screaming, and she gets along with everyone and we think that we’ve finally made some progress. And then she says something about that boy, and everything just blows up and she locks herself in the bathroom and we’re back to square one.”

“Okay,” I sighed, now wondering more than ever what I was supposed to do. This girl thinks she’s in love, but her mother and his parents interfere and rip them apart—God only knows why—and she gets sent away like a reject. All I kept thinking about was if someone had done that with me and Kris, and how upset I’d be if tried to get in the way of what we had. So how could I help?

Following Rob into the house, I noted how weird it felt to be back here again. Yesterday, Kris and I were on this total high of seeing each other again and we were here to celebrate that; now I was here for a completely different, and way more serious, reason. Brandy gave me a quizzical look, obviously wondering why or how I was in her kitchen again. Rob pointed me up the stairs as he tried to explain to Brandy.

I was nervous, and my hands were all sweaty and shaking as I rapped softly on the door. “Samantha?” There was no answer. So I spoke again, “Um, this is probably going to sound really weird to you, but I’m here to talk to you. Or, rather, to listen to you.”

There was another moment of silence. It was going to be really difficult to help if she was just going to ignore me. I tried the knob to make sure that it was still locked and she was still in there. That’s when she spoke. “You can’t come in. I don’t even know who you are.”

“Well, my name is Jo. Um, I’m dating Kris, from the Sharks. He was traded here about two weeks ago.”

“He’s the one with the hair,” she commented, and it caught me off guard.

I laughed a little. “Yeah, that would be him. Well, Rob and Brandy are concerned about you—”

“They don’t give a flying shit,” she bit out, and I could hear the anger and frustration and hurt in her voice. “They’re just pissed at me. Well, fuck them.”

“No, that’s not true. They do care, and that’s why Rob asked me to come talk to you,” I explained. “Because maybe, I can understand better than they can.”

“I don’t even know you! And you sure as hell don’t know me, so how can you possibly understand?”

With a deep breath, I sat down crossed-legged on the floor. This wasn’t going to be easy, I could see that. But it shocked me a little, to hear her say that. It almost felt like I was talking to a nineteen-year-old Jo behind that door: a girl who was hurt and upset, feeling alone and at odds with the entire world. Just like me, when Kris took me out to lunch and I made him tell me all about Luc before I could even consider sharing my story about James. It’s easier to open up to someone when you know they can relate to you.

“You’re totally right, Samantha—”

“Don’t be patronizing, Jo,” she snarled.

“I’m not being patronizing. It’s true, that you don’t know me. And I don’t know you or what you’re going through.” I put my palm on the door in a gesture to reach out, even if she couldn’t see it. How was I supposed to show her that I understood, except to tell her all about my past? It still hurt to talk about it, but I had to suck it up. “But I do know what it’s like to feel like your family doesn’t want you. Like they don’t care or understand.”

“Yeah?”

I could tell by her question that she wanted me to keep going. It was a sarcastic word, but I had piqued her curiosity at least a little. Swallowing hard, I laid my cards out on the table and revealed my hand. “Yeah. You see, my, uh, my brother died. And my mom left, and my dad was a drinker. At first, he’d just kind of ignore me, but then he stopped coming home altogether. They all left me, and it was hard to deal with feeling abandoned by my parents on top of missing my brother. So maybe it’s not the same as being forced to pick up and leave home to go live with someone else, but... I still know what it feels like when you feel all alone, like no one cares.”

“See? You just said you don’t understand. It’s not the same.”

If Samantha were anything at all like me, I knew that trying to point out how she was wrong would get under her skin and get a reaction out of her. “I know it’s not the same. Because you have an aunt and uncle you want what’s best for you and were willing to take you in when your mother gave up on you. I didn’t have that, and I wish I did.”

“They don’t care! They say they care, and that’s why they’re ‘letting’ me start over. But if anybody really cared at all, then they would want for me the same things I want for myself. They won’t even let me speak to him,” she wailed. “My mother hates him and didn’t even want me to date him. But I’m seventeen. She can’t tell me what to do, as much as she thinks she can.”

“Why doesn’t she like him?” I asked, trying to get her to talk. Talk about anything, as long as it got her talking to me.

“I’m not telling you. You’re just going to make me point out all these bad things about him to try to make me realize that he’s just a stupid hockey player and that he’s no good for me—just like my mom. But that won’t work, because I love him and he loves me, and that’s all that matters in our relationship. He’s not perfect, but no one is.”

“I’m not doubting how you feel about him. You obviously care a lot about him, or else you wouldn’t be in this kind of situation. They wouldn’t have had to split you up like this if there weren’t some serious feelings involved. Besides, I’m dating a hockey player, remember? Listen, I’m sure he’s a nice guy if you love him. So, if you don’t wanna say why your mom doesn’t like him, then why don’t you tell me why you love him?”

I could hear the change in her voice as she began to think about him. “Because Bryan’s so amazing. He gets me, better than anyone. Everyone said he was just a goon. And he is, on the ice, I mean. But he’s so sweet when you get to know him. He always paid when he took me out on dates, and he got me seats right next to the penalty box when I’d go to his games so he could wink at me when he took penalties, and he never pressured me to do anything I didn’t want to do,” she emphasized.

Smiling, I thought about how in high school, love was that easy. I had been in love, at least I had thought so, when I was in sixteen. Except Tony Barber turned out to be a total sleaze ball and Tubby decked him when he told everyone I wouldn’t have sex with him. So finding a guy who was so chivalrous at that age was next to impossible.

“Wow, Bryan sounds like a great guy. And a hockey player, too, so I bet he’s got a nice body,” I threw out there, hoping to sound friendly and nice.

“He is a great guy,” she responded, sounding a little miffed again. “I don’t know why no one else can see that but me!”

I wanted to say that if she was the only person who could see how nice he was, and no one could, then maybe she was seeing something that wasn’t really there. But I didn’t say that, because I wasn’t here to judge.

Samantha continued, “No one wants to give him a chance to get even try to get to know him. Everyone just wants to assume the worst. It’s not fair.”

Wow, I could have said the same thing, about Kris, where Tubby was concerned. At first, it seemed like the two of them were going to get along, but then Tubby accused Kris of not caring enough and letting bad things happen to me when he should have been paying closer attention. I knew that there had to have been more going on than just this, if they had to move Samantha across the continent to get away from him.

And I also knew what it was like to be forced into separating with the one you loved. Brenda was to Bryan and Samantha like Ray Shero was to me and Kris. I hated not being with Kris, but at least we were still together as a couple despite the distance. Sam had been forced apart from Bryan, and forced to break up with him, and that would feel like the end of the world to me—no exaggeration on my part. I’d be an inconsolable mess without Kris. Maybe she was young, but did her age discount her feelings? Lots of people fell in love with their high school sweethearts and stayed in love for their whole lives. Maybe this was a case of that, too.

I wasn’t sure what or whom to believe: Samantha, or what I had heard about her mother. I mean, I felt bad for Samantha. She seemed nice enough, and I knew how it felt to be in her shoes. But I didn’t know the whole story. Maybe her mother had a good reason for interfering. Bryan could have been a trouble-maker, who was dragging Samantha down with him. I didn’t know what Brenda’s reason or reasons were, and I wasn’t sure if I could get any of them out of Samantha, either. Besides, she was biased. She’d never be able to see any other side to this than her own.

One of the reasons I felt so bad for her was because I had been there, feeling like I had my back up against the wall and that no one could understand or that they wouldn’t even bother trying. No, they were just going to judge you and ridicule you. Maybe our circumstances had been different, but the attitude was the same. And it took one hell of a breakthrough with the help of one hell of a guy to help me deal with everything.

And all of a sudden, I was hit with this tidal wave of sympathy for Samantha. I knew what it was like to be in her shoes, but I also knew what it was like to move on and learn to deal and have things get better. To not feel like that anymore. I wanted that for her. I wanted to help her get to that point. I wanted to be able to use everything I had learned and pass all that onto her so she didn’t have hurt and lash out anymore.

I wondered if this was how Kris felt, when he met me.

I had a great appreciation for him now. Moreso than I did before, because I already respected him and valued his guidance. I had always been thankful for everything he had done for me—but it wasn’t until now, when I got to see things from his point of view and really see where he was coming from, that I could get a complete sense of exactly how he had felt compelled to reach out and offer a shoulder to cry on and a helping hand. I hadn’t understood that back then. But I did now, and I felt like I should explain that all to Kris and thank him.

Lost in my thoughts, I had let silence fall between me and the girl on the other side of the door. “You still there?” she asked.

“Yeah, Sam, I’m still here. I just don’t know what to say,” I admitted. As much as I wanted to be the one on the helping side, I was clueless on how to proceed. “I mean, I feel bad that you’re in this situation. I wish I could help, or do something. But... I don’t know what to do or how to help you.”

She surprised me by opening the door. I looked up at her, wondering what was going on. Although she was wearing different clothing, her outfit was the same: big, baggy sweats. Her hair was pulled back away from her face. Samantha was pretty, once you could actually see what she looked like.

“You say my uncle sent you?” she asked.

“Uh, yeah.” I pushed off the floor and stood. I was still in the hallway, and she was still in the bathroom, but the door was open. She was a few inches or so taller than me. Her face was red and her eyes were puffy.

She shook her head. “I don’t get it. He sent you, but you’re not going to tell me that I need to forget all about him? You’re not gonna tell me that I’m being unreasonable?”

“I really only know whatever you’ve told me. I’m not passing judgment on you, because I know I always hated when people did that to me. You can’t help the way you feel. If you love him and miss him because he’s important to you, then I don’t think those emotions are going to change any time soon.”

We heard heavy footsteps echo through the hallway as Rob started to ascend the stairs. Samantha panicked and grabbed me by my arm, her nails accidentally digging into my skin as she pulled me into the bathroom with her. She may have been thin and frail-looking, but she must have had some muscles hidden under that baggy sweatshirt. Once I was in the bathroom, she slammed the door shut again and locked it.

I think it was safe to say that Samantha had let me in—physically and metaphorically. She smiled at me, embarrassed. “Sorry. I’m just not ready to see them yet.”

“I understand. But I think they’re worried about you.” I couldn’t help but wonder why she was wearing such big, heavy clothes when it was so nice outside. Plus, she had locked herself in the bathroom, where there were sharp objects. Was she a self-mutilator? Did she hurt herself physically to get her mind off the emotional pain? If that were the case, I was really in over my head.

She snorted and plopped down on the closed toilet seat, where she must have had been spending her morning. “They’re not worried. If anything, they’re just pissed that they can’t get in here. But it’s not like this house doesn’t have more than one bathroom.”

“Listen, I don’t think that’s fair of you,” I countered, taking a seat on the edge of the bathtub.

Just then, the footsteps stopped outside of the door, and there was a knock. “Everything okay in there? You all right, Sammy?”

She didn’t answer, so I spoke up for her. “Yeah, we’re fine in here.”

“Okay,” he sighed, figuring that he wasn’t going to get anything else out of us and leaving.

When the footsteps moved away from us until we couldn’t hear them any longer, Samantha said, “See? He doesn’t care.”

“Of course Brandy and Rob care. They wouldn’t have let you live with them if they didn’t. I mean, you should have seen Rob. He wants so badly to be able to do something, but he just doesn’t know what.”

“He could talk to my mom into letting me go home. Or even just find out where Bryan was traded. He’s Rob freakin’ Blake, I mean, he’s idolized in Simcoe. All it would take is one phone call for him to find out, and then I could find a way to contact Bryan.” She sniffed and grabbed a few squares of toilet paper. “I just wish I could talk to him. I know he’s gotta be going crazy, not being able to talk to me or hear how I’m doing.”

Something about the phrasing of her last statement didn’t sit right with me. It made it sound like there was something wrong with her, besides just a broken heart. “I’m sure it sucks just as much for him as it does for you.”

“He must be worried sick, you know?” Samantha stood, upset and overheated, so she could pull her sweatshirt over her head. She was just as slim as I had imagined as she stood there in her pants and tank top. Her arms had definition, which explained her strength. The only thing that was incongruous to me was the way her tank top was tighter around her stomach, which had a slight pooch to it.

Slowly, I figured it out for myself. She wasn’t being “unreasonable,” like Rob had said; she was hormonal. She didn’t just miss her boyfriend; she wanted to talk to the father of her unborn child. Bryan wasn’t a trouble-maker; he just knocked her up. And he must have been worried sick because she was pregnant.

“Do Rob and Brandy know?” I blurted out my question, now that I knew what was going on.

“Yeah. When I found out and told Bryan, we wanted to keep it a secret from my mom. She already wasn’t crazy about him, so I knew she’d flip out. Which she did, when she accidentally found out. But we didn’t expect his parents to freak out like they did, because they liked me.”

“Well, what were you guys gonna do? I mean, you couldn’t just all of a sudden have a baby. You would’ve needed health care, and how could you have hidden a big old belly when your due date was near?”

“Well, Bryan’s eighteenth birthday is in June. I was saving my money from my after school job, and he would have quit playing and gotten an apartment for us and a job, and we would have found a way to make it work. We had it all planned out.”

I was impressed by her foresight and planning. It made me think that maybe she could have handled this, that maybe their parents had overreacted. They had thought about everything and were willing to accept the responsibility. But now I was still back at the place where I had started: what the hell was I supposed to do to help? I had identified with her attitude, but this? No, I had no clue what to do. As much as I felt bad for her, I couldn’t go against her mother’s wishes. So I asked, “How far along are you?”

“Four months,” she sighed, placing a hand on her tiny belly. “I’m gonna find out the sex next week at my appointment. If it’s a boy, he’ll be Bryan Junior, I’ve already decided. I’m not sure about names for a girl, though.”

“Well, you’ve got five more months to pick out a good name,” I replied. I paused before I asked the next question. “So, this means you’re keeping your baby.”

“Of course,” she said with exasperation. “Duh. I love my baby already. And maybe they can keep us apart for now, but not forever.”

With that type of determination, I wasn’t sure I could do anything to help at this point. So I just listened for a while as she talked about how the baby and her pregnancy and how Bryan had been excited. Part of me didn’t believe it, but I didn’t know him. It could have been true. I stayed there and listened. When it seemed like she’d run out of things to say, I asked her if she talked like this to anyone else.

“No. I told you, no one else cares.”

I sighed, wanting to chastise her. I’d already said before that Rob and Brandy cared, but she didn’t want to hear that. “Well, I’m going to give you my cell phone number, so in case you ever need someone to talk to, you can just call me. Okay?”

She nodded, and I added, “But, if I can be completely honest, Samantha, I think you need to cut them some slack. They don’t exactly know what they’re doing, and they want to help you, but don’t know how.”

When she opened her mouth to counter me, I held up my hands and wouldn’t let her cut me off. “Now listen, I’m not saying that I agree with your mom or Bryan’s parents when it comes to what they decided for you guys. It sounds to me like they should have listened to you before they made up their minds. But that doesn’t mean that Brandy or Rob is to blame. From what I’ve heard, they just wanted to do their part to help you. So I think you should give them a chance.”

Samantha crossed her arms over her chest and pouted. “You’re just like them. I thought you were going to be different, because you didn’t tell me that I was being stupid or unreasonable. But you haven’t listened to a thing I’ve said.”

“Not true. Please don’t try to put words in my mouth. All I’m saying is that you’re hurting your own cause here. You’re telling me that you had everything figured out, had everything under control, that you and Bryan were going to do whatever it took to raise your baby together. And honestly, Sam, I thought that you had put a lot of thought into this and that maybe, yeah, you could have handled it.

“But if you act like this, you’re not showing them that you’re capable of having this baby. You’re whining and complaining, and not at all acting like the adult you need to be to raise a child. If you start handling this shitty situation with a bit more poise and composure, then maybe Brandy will mention that to your mother. Maybe that’ll change her opinion on this situation. I mean, what have you got to lose at this point? It’s worth a shot, right? So then maybe you can go back to Simcoe, and then you can try to get through to Bryan’s parents, too.”

She didn’t say anything. I hoped that that meant I had given her some things to ponder. I stood up. “If you need to talk to anyone, Samantha, I hope you’ll call me. And I hope you’ll take my advice. Now, I’m going to get going. What are you going to do? Are you going to stay locked up here, or are you going to go downstairs and show Brandy that you are going to be responsible enough to take care of your baby?”

When I got no response, I sighed. I felt so disappointed. Samantha had obviously needed someone willing to listen to her side. I had felt like maybe I’d gotten through to her, but maybe she had really just bottled everything up to the point where she had needed to let it all out, and it didn’t matter to whom. So I unlocked the door and headed out to the hallway, feeling I had wasted my afternoon.

But to my surprise, she followed me.

9 comments:

  1. Go go Dr Jo!!! Jo should have her own advise column. She was superb!

    ReplyDelete
  2. YES! So Samantha isn't a threat at all! works for me.
    I love how Jo has grown, how much she's matured, and she's realized it now.
    I am a little upset they don't have as much time to spend with each othe, but I think this thing with Samantha will only make them stronger!

    ReplyDelete
  3. So the good deed is its own reward. Jo helps Samantha, and gets insights into her own psyche and her own situation. Funny that Bryan is a hockey player too, but in this universe hockey players are always attractive to girls and women.

    All kinds of parallels happening here.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh boys!
    I really thought she was cutter for a bit!
    But Pregnant? I NEVER guessed that!!
    Nice little curve ball!

    I'm glad it seems like Jo might have gotten through to her <3
    I'd be pretty happy being shipped off to live with a rich uncle? just sayin' : )

    GREAT update! Finally we know what's up with Samantha!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Didn't see the pregnant one coming. But I liked this, I just hope that Samantha can live up to her expectations (thats not the right words but Im struggling for words this morning). And she seemed to know who Kris was - a little unnerving seeing as he's seen her like, once? Should we be worried by this?
    Wahoo for a great update.

    ReplyDelete
  6. So Jo is paying it forward!!! I love it!! Now she is finally understanding everything Kris did for her. (LeSigh) I can't wait to read more

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh my God! Hell yeah, Jo! I am seriously so happy for her right now! I can't believe Samantha actually listened to her, that's so amazing(:

    Ahhh, the great mystery of Samantha is revealed. I never suspected that she was pregnant at all. I LOVE when you keep us guessing, Jay!

    Also, I agree with Catie. Jo's totally paying it forward and I hope she realizes how rewarding it is and why Kris worked so hard in the beginning.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Well played by Jo. My favorite part though is definitely Jo realizing what Kris had done for her and moreso, I hope she'll be able to attribute the way it made her feel to the way Kris feels when he helps her. It would be really nice for her to understand in such a concrete way that when Kris says he does something for her and that makes him happy, he means it. God, Jo is such a well written and well developped character. The story lines NEVER cease to amaze me. She was a champion in there reflecting on everything she had been through and stuff. It would be hard to be in Rob and Brandy's position I think, it doesn't seem right to separate two people who are 'in love' when the girl is pregnant. I guess we don't know the particulars, but it was good Jo didn't really voice her opinion, she stayed neutral and was just a pro. Kris is going to be so thrilled when he hears this, I can just imagine him being so proud of her and their hot, hot, "thank you for helping me and I understand better now" sex. C'moon Jay, make it happen. The separation is inevitable and the build up in stress and sadness and the unknown is going to make shit hit the fan if they don't talk it out, so give them another good romp between the sheets before everythign goes to hell.

    Cool?

    Wonderful as always.

    ReplyDelete
  9. As I go...

    "Rob asked me to come back to his house and try to reason with his “unreasonable” niece."
    ^^ I'm so glad that it's Jo! lol I was really worried that somehow Kris was going to be put into this situation and then that would just be... well... you know what that would have done to me lol.

    "I hated that Kris and I just had this damn discussion a few hours ago, about how I wouldn’t even get to spend my whole visit with him, and now I couldn’t even take advantage of the time we actually had together."
    ^^ AGREED! KR is pissed off too! Ughhh I mean, I get that it's for a good cause and all that but... COME ON! I need me some more Jo/Kris time... just sayin.

    “He’s the one with the hair,” she commented, and it caught me off guard.
    ^^ L O L Ok... not an appropriate time to laugh, but when she said that... I did... out loud. Oh Kris...

    "I had been in love, at least I had thought so, when I was in sixteen. Except Tony Barber turned out to be a total sleaze ball and Tubby decked him when he told everyone I wouldn’t have sex with him."
    ^^ BAHAHAHAHA YAY TUBBY!! I'm still totally team Tubby, FYI. And that right there, is why. Tubby is amazing and I seriously need to get me one.

    "I wondered if this was how Kris felt, when he met me."
    ^^ That was like a 'whoa' moment. Like, I actually had to stop reading and just think about that, and all the things that went with it.
    Maybe Jo can change her Samantha's life, as much as Kris changed hers.

    "She didn’t just miss her boyfriend; she wanted to talk to the father of her unborn child. Bryan wasn’t a trouble-maker; he just knocked her up. And he must have been worried sick because she was pregnant."
    ^^ Ok the whole situation makes me angry like... unless he was beating her... I don't get it. I feel super bad for Samantha and I'm glad that she has Jo to talk to.
    That line really made me sad.

    This was awesome... and then the ending... YAY! I was so happy Samantha followed her down!
    I'm excited to see not only some more Kris/Jo time, but I also can't wait to see what happens to Samantha; I feel super bad for her and the situation that she's in.

    Wonderful, but that's no surprise =)

    ReplyDelete